TASK 3: Through Baptism we share in the mission of Jesus
Read the story of Jesus’ Baptism from the link below
Watch the YouTube clip of John The Baptist below
After watching the clip and reading the story:
- Explain what was important about Jesus being BAPTISED.
- Of what does it signify the beginning?
TASK 4: The Rite of Baptism
The Rite of Baptism comprises a welcome and reception of the one to be baptised, followed by a:
- Liturgy of the Word
- Liturgy of Baptism
Do your own research and write out the steps in a Liturgy of Baptism.
In the Liturgy of Baptism, the candidate is baptised and involves many symbols.
Research the following symbols.
Write a small explanation about each of them explaining their meaning or purpose.
For each symbol, find a graphic that represents that symbol
- The oil of catechumens
- The anointing with Chrism on the crown of the head
- A white garment
- A candle is lit from the Easter Candle
- The Prayer of Baptism
Symbols of Baptism
Light from the Paschal (Easter) Candle will be used to light the Baptismal Candle.
In the Liturgy of the Word, the priest asks several questions of the candidate (or for an infant asks the parents and godparents).
- Watch the clip below and list the questions that the priest asks the Parents and God-Parents before baptising the children.
- In the clip, the priest offers prayers for the infants. What does he ask God for in the prayers?