7 - Vinnies
History of San Clemente
We are called to support those who suffer in the world
In 1251 the city of Siena paid for 20,000 bricks for the Servants of Saint Mary which were to be used in the construction of their new church. This church was dedicated to St. Clemente. It is still standing and is still the parish church. It is the oldest existing community of friars outside of Florence. At one time, St. Alexis (one of the Founders) lived there, as did St. Peregrine and Blessed Francis and Blessed Joachim. As in Florence, the Arts flourished here, and this church is considered to be one of the most beautiful in the Order. The foundation of this community in the mid 13th century marked the beginning of the expansion of the Servite Friars.
Photo of the Month