ATAR Religion - Unit 1, Module 5 The Australian Church
The recorded history of Australia since 1788 is relatively short compared to most other places. Nevertheless, it includes a number of important people, events and issues that have had an impact on religion in Australia.
- Critical Thinker
- Creative and Innovative
- Communicator and Collaborator
For this inquiry you will be required to:
- Frame a research question to guide your inquiry.
- Develop subsequent focus questions to unpack your research.
- Develop a research plan for the inquiry.
- Conduct research and identify, locate and organise relevant information from a range of relevant sources.
- Practice ethical consideration when conducting your inquiry but submitting an APA bibliography to acknowledge sources.
- Complete an unseen essay in-class relating to the focus areas below.
Imagine you have been employed by the Australian Religious History Association (RHA), who is planning on conducting an exhibition on the History of Religion in Australia between 1850 and 1900. The RHA have requested that you present information on St Mary MacKillop as an important person in the history of Catholicism in Australia. Your role is to plan and gather sources and information to present as part of the exhibition by using an inquiry process.
- Contextual information outlining the place of religion in Australian society between 1850 to 1900.
- St Mary MacKillop, a significant individual in the history of the Catholic religion in Australia. This will include:
- Background information about the life of the person;
- Evidence of Catholic values and beliefs throughout their life;
- Who / What influenced the person; and
- Issues/challenges faced by the person
- The effect St Mary MacKillop had on the history of Catholicism in Australia.